batoracle's blog

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Put something somewhere..but is it seen?

This assignment I chose to put myself somewhere, namely in the Atrium at Annenberg Hall. I wanted to test my invisibility theory in a place where cameras are seen as common objects. But how many people actually would notice me?
Taking my camcorder, I walked around the atrium shooting nothing and everything (I haven’t gotten to digitize the footage though, as I still need to get the video software installed in my computer). I noticed that I was only glanced at, if anyone bothered to turn and look at all. The only person who noted my presence was my friend Ron, who was sitting at a computer on the balcony to the Grad lounge, and he gave me the one-finger salute (a not uncommon gesture of Ron’s). When I went upstairs to shoot down into the atrium, no one even looked up to see they were being taped. I continued around into the studios, and once I got into the Temple Update studio, everyone there looked at the camera to say hi and ask what was up. Here were the people the most comfortable in front of and behind the camera, not to mention they know me, so their interaction was understandable. But just like in Golden Gate Park, I was invisible until I chose to come from behind the camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home